Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fun in the Sun







Today marks day 7 and it seems like maybe we are making a dent in some of our goals. Music "students" have had 4 lessons on the keyboard and are making some pretty good music. We enjoyed day 2 of Bible study, which makes it seem like we are behind, but somehow we haven't been able to gather the right groups together at home and settle in for a devotional time. The boys are enjoying the "Men of the Bible" teaching, the little ones are working through the 23rd Psalm and the older girls and I studied chapter 2 of Ruth. Girls everywhere can soak up a good love story, so we're trying to learn something from the character of the people; humility, kindness and hope.


After Bible study, lunch was served...cowpeas over rice. Delicious. Evan went to work again on the chicken coop and we started the tie die-d t-shirts. We have a pretty exciting field trip coming up on Thursday in Kampala, so we wanted everyone to have matching shirts so we can spot each other in a crowd. Twisting and winding the shirts, binding with rubber bands and squirting the dye on was just really fun and everyone was anxious to see what they had created. We let them sit, then rinsed them out and hung them to dry. There is a part of me that wonders if I have missed something allowing 40 years to pass between my sessions with Rit Dye, I think I had as much fun as any of them.




As the sun came out, we decided so would the Slip N Slide we brought with us. A bucket of water an a plastic cup replaced a hose, Micah demonstrated with flare and away they went. Laughing, squealing, cheering and sliding, as again and again they worked their way to the front of the line and           threw themselves on the wet plastic.



Pastor Roman stopped by to work with the whole family for their competition on Sunday against three other Abundant Life churches. Janet was so happy when she realized they could use today's t shirt project for a uniform look when they compete. "Can we make matching skirts for all of the girls by Sunday?" I think we may not get that done this trip.

Janet and I spent an hour completing a dress for her. It was simple, but she loved the fabric and was so happy putting it on and modeling it for us. We finished up the frames and have the flannel backgrounds attached for the flannel graph set. Maybe tomorrow we can actually begin using the pieces so many of you spent hours cutting for us. It might just be me, but I love a visual with any story, so teaching about the Bible with pictures...just about perfect for this overgrown child.

The rain began pouring down again as we left to head back for the night. I'm drinking a steamy cup of African tea with lots of sugar and hot milk reflecting on the day. I did go by the children's hospital first thing this morning to check on the child in a coma and just prayed over her again. I wish God would let me decide what He should do on this one. My tunnel vision says there's only one thing that makes sense; do a mightly miracle and send this mother and child back out into the world to testify to God's greatness & power. Even the resurrection of Jesus didn't bring everyone running, some walked away without faith in the face of many miracles...rejecting evidence beyond question.

I can't sort it out, but I can sit before the throne of the One who sees the beginning from the end and trust Him to hear every prayer and petition for the small child named "Trina" and her mama. Join me if you can... I told her you would.

No comments:

Post a Comment