Sunday, May 19, 2013

In the midst of these...


The earliest hours of my last morning in Africa were spent at the hospital checking in on Trina and the others who have filled the Emergency ward (ICU) while I've been here.  Trina was still there, though its been a full week since I saw her last.  She is conscious now, but the persistent fever etc... has sapped her of any strength.  Her face was pale and eyes staring off at nothing. Her body limp as her mom still waiting for improvement, seemed hopeful.  Two others caught my attention, both suffering with severe continuous blood loss and the doctors have no answers.  I wanted so badly to take them myself to the Private Hospital which is a "pay for care" place.   I knew God would stay close even if could not.  

I headed to Chayah and arrived just as breakfast was being served.  Afterwards Janet asked me to teach one last bible study to the whole group.  So we looked at the story of Dorcas, one single person caring for many others and Peter praying for her after she died.  She was raised from death and we talked about the power of God through one person's actions and prayer.  Praying that they can see themselves with a God big enough to make a difference around them.

After that we set out for the Nile for one last adventure.  I had been telling Janet that dogs can swim.  She wanted so badly to think I was teasing her.   I took a necktie from the store room, fashioned a harness for the little "star" and we all set off for a walk to the river.  Hilu didn't appreciate the leash one bit, but he's not big enough to put up much of a fuss.  When we got there we voted on whether or not he could handle the water.  Then I waded out about 10 feet and for a split second my confidence waned  and I wondered if a dog in Uganda had the same instinctive dog paddle as the dogs I've known or if instead I would traumatize them all by drowning their one and only pet while they watched.  I held him up so his feet barely touched the surface and saw his paws begin the familiar motion, so I put him right in and to 19 cheers he paddled his way to shore... over and over again!  

John and Yoweri wanted to race him from about 15 feet out, and the kids were cheering for their dog like he was a hero with each win.  It was so fun and hysterical to see and hear their surprise and laughter.  Yoweri fell behind this mutt in his race and if you can believe it, he grabbed his back legs and pulled Hilu back a bit to try to catch up.  Once the dog had done his trick a dozen times or so, he wandered into the grass trying to hide I think, so we gave him a break, played in the water a bit, then headed back.

Along the way Janet showed me the small field of beans she has planted, another plot of maize and some mounds growing potatoes.  She works these plots while the kids are in school.

We got home and pulled out the sewing machine trying to finish the last skirts and dress projects.  I am so very proud of Melisa, Judith and Janet as they really took to the projects, start to finish.  

 As the afternoon wore on, Janet and I could hardly talk or look at each other.  The kids seemed unaware, but there was a heaviness that began to set in for the two of us.  I excused myself for a shower and repacking and tried to talk myself out of a good cry.  We all spent the last half hour in the front yard, the kids playing, chasing each other and others brought me notes for their sponsors.  Not everyone can write or write in English, but the ones who can did.  

Sitting in the airport now, I haven't yet gotten the courage to read a personal one given to me.  The worst part of the trip home is the first 4 hours, driving on bumpy roads, through impossible traffic jams, and having second thoughts about the time spent showering.  I think I have a thick layer of diesel exhaust on me that I won't be able to rid myself of for about 36 hours.  

I'm just a little bit tempted to remind Brussels airline about the crazy scare they gave us this time last week just in case they want to bump me up to first class with a promise I won't upset fellow passengers with the story.  But I believe I will attempt to finish strong and sit in the seat that shares my true identity...economy.

When it was time to leave, they all walked me out, sang a song and I couldn't keep my eyes from leaking all over the place.  I was so hoping with all the humidity and perspiration, there would be no moisture left and that my good talking to in the shower would have done its job.  I wasn't the only one,  Mary the cook had to leave, Big John was trying so hard to smile in the midst of the emotion,  Edrine, Judith... maybe the biggest ones who have a sense of time.  Maybe they just realized it could be months before they get back to the swimming pool... Janet sat in the car unable to watch.  And then Olivia...  

My own words from yesterday's post remind me that God planned it this way.  A few people from far away, coming to Africa to be apart of the lives of this little tribe.  We don't need to stay, they are fine, thriving and happy.  It's just a heart thing.  God created us to love and has a plan that will allow us to spend an eternity together.  If we can survive the meantime by living on memories, letters, an occasional skype session and praying for one another.  I am so grateful for the time our team has had here, so grateful for the growth of Chayah's kids.  Each one is so unique and adds something wonderful to this family.  Why God gave us the opportunity to be involved and see it up close is something only He understands, but I will thank Him forever for His work in the hearts and lives of all of them.  Though the blog posts for this trip come to an end, I am mindful that our prayer for them cannot.  You're a faithful bunch and I pray the Lord's greatest blessing on you for standing in the gap for them.

The Lord thy God in the midst of these 
He's mighty, so mighty,
  The Lord thy God, He's in the midst of these 
He's mighty, so mighty,
And I saw Him,   
     High and lift up, 
With power and grace and authority 
And He shall reign in the midst of these 
Forever and ever Amen.







1 comment:

  1. Travel safely, in God's hands. But just a heads up if you ever decide again to prove dogs can swim: Not all dogs can swim, we have a retriever that can't! In fact she had to be rescued by another dog when she fell into a swift moving river! She also doesn't retrieve. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete