Friday, May 17, 2013

Last Full Day


I spent most of last evening on the phone with the airlines trying to secure my seat to fly home.  My prepaid phone kept running out of credits, cutting me off and after buying all that the hotel had to sell, it still wasn't enough.  I stopped and bought more time this morning, but realized later it was for the wrong network. So again this afternoon I got what I needed and got the call through, got a place on the plane and I'll be home Sunday evening.  Thank you so much for praying my way through that adventure.

I landed at the house this morning about 9am and made a list of conversations that Janet asked me to have.  We finished the big girls bible study this morning and then I talked to them about what we hope and what we pray and plan for them.  Janet wanted me to talk to them about new temptations as they get older and about letting Satan steal their blessings because of poor choices.  They did a lot of listening and nodding and I realized that they are young girls just like any other.  All of our hearts just want the "new, fun, exciting" thing that is dangled in front of us, ignore the consequences and believe what is done in secret is unknown and has no power over us.  We all want the same thing, to be loved to belong and to be valued. Satan would love to divide these girls from God's plan for them, would love to take what God has done and lure them to cast it aside now that they have their needs met.  Janet seemed grateful to have someone else speak to them, encourage them and support her in this way.  I felt sorely inadequate getting those things across with my own three in a way that made sense, now I'm another generation apart so I am praying God covers whatever was missing with his grace and speak to their heart directly.

Next on the list was speaking to our two cooks as their employer.  I had a long list of all that I appreciate about their work and some very very minor changes that would be good.  Again, supporting Janet in her leadership.  Then I asked them what we could do to help them in their jobs and they both said they were so very happy working at Chayah.

Janet and I sat down to go over the budget and bookkeeping.  She has so so risen to this task with detail and record keeping that answered my every question.  I respect her so much and all the work she puts in.  It's a 24/7 job, and no regular days off.  I don't know many in the US that would be prepared for that kind of work schedule, especially without all the conveniences we enjoy.  

More headband dresses were made...and again worn on their heads like a HUGE head of hair.  Lunch was served and we packed up to go swimming.  Janet drove all 22 of us to the hotel pool for 2 hours of fun.  Everyone is getting so much more comfortable in the water that I was like a bobble head counting them to make sure they were all right side up.  I caught Regina smiling at me a couple of times today...her toothless grin melting my heart.  
After everyone dried off, they spotted some playground equipment and asked with their eyes, if they could go play.  Well, YES!  Get going!  

Janet doesn't want to drive in the dark, so she starts getting a little antsy about an hour before the sun goes down.  After a little time to swing and slide, everybody packed up and I sent them off for home, then I walked up the uneven stairs for my last night under the Ugandan stars. 

Tomorrow will be unimaginably difficult.  The separation will be painful and the last thing I want to be is another person in their lives who leaves them.  The difference I guess is that we will be back, at predictable times and we have hearts wide open while are here.  All I know to do is pray they understand that we love them even when we are far away and that God loves them the same regardless of anybody else.  It will help them if I can be really strong, not shed any tears all the while feeling like I'm lying to them...my heart will be breaking at missing them so much.   But this is the way it is, the way God ordained it, called us to this place while living in another.  I wonder if the Apostle Paul suffered this type of separation after serving in an area for a time or revisiting some he had previously spent time with.   I wish every part of ministry and loving was without pain... but the truth is it's just not that way on this earth.  So if you could indulge me one last prayer request, that both sides of tomorrow's goodbye would survive and cling once again to the One who brought us together.  He's the only one that never ever leaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment