Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Malaria takes over the day...

It's Tuesday and I realized that away from the internet to post right away may leave you guessing if I survived the night.  YES!  I Americanized Janet's room with a fan because I can deal with the heat and humidity during the day, but nights are more fitful without it and I'm imagining a mosquito trying to land for a snack and instead plastered against the wall in the wind.

I was awakened at 6am by the rustling of Mary and Jennifer, Chayah's cooks, sweeping outside.  The kids were waking and brushing their teeth then gathering in the sitting room.  Prayer and praise began soon thereafter and was a wonderful way to start the day.  Scratchy voices singing worship songs while they are rubbing their eyes and then sitting for the early morning chores assignment.  

Everyone jumped up and got right to work.  Sweeping, picking up trash, scrubbing the floors inside and out, washing clothes and everyone bathing again.   In about 45 minutes every bed was made and everyone was dressed and ready for breakfast; Chai tea, a thick slice of bread and a square type of donut.  Olivia, Big Sharon and I sat and had some good long conversation, sharing our hearts and pasts.  God is so very faithful and they confirmed again that God has been using Chayah in the lives of each of these children.  

It wasn't long before we realized that Regina was getting sicker instead of better.  A week of antibiotics for her ear  hasn't resolved the infection.  Two days of Malaria treatment hasn't improved her condition.  This morning she had such a high fever and two nosebleeds.  She refused any food and barely got her tea and fever tablet down.  She was so very lethargic.  Add that to a very quiet reserved child anyway and it was difficult to tell where her emotional silence stopped and Malaria took over.   It didn't take long to call the boda boda and head to the clinic.  They admitted her right away, started an IV and gave her several medications.  Olivia and I stayed and it wasn't long until all three of us were fast asleep in the bed with Regina.  Three hours later, food came from the house and Sharon and Jennifer served us a plate of rice, greens and beans.  Regina was no more alert or responding than she had been.  

I think she might have been more mad than weak with all the pokes... until I pulled out my IPAD and showed her a couple of children's puzzle games.  Her greatest expression of any energy at all was slowing allowing Olivia to move her finger on the screen, no facial change, no lighting up, just allowing someone else to move her hand.  Then finally... after a long time, slowly she tried  it herself.  For her to show interest in anything was encouraging.  She barely makes eye contact with me or anyone outside the house, let alone be interested in anything I offer.  This morning I gave her a plastic giraffe, she gently shook her head "no".  I offered her a small pocket sized doll, "no".  A small fabric elephant...no interest.  A paper house for the elephant to sleep in "no".  An elephant gently walking up her leg or arm... one slight head movement, "no".  Its always the slightest movement of her head, never a word.  

When we were told she should rest, all went back to the house except Olivia.  I had told the girls we would sew today, so we got some pieces cut out to make two skirts and the first few seams sewn before the power converter got fussy and it was time to head back to the clinic for the 2nd IV of the day.  I expect we'll be out long after the mosquitos begin their evening meal so I'm like a sitting duck here and I'm sure a few that hit the wall in the fan last night are waiting up for me and salivating.  

We ate dinner, I got to teach the evening devotion and then several attempted to braid my hair.  It was a pretty safe arrangement since I knew they'd end up just combing their fingers through it over and over.  So different from their own.  "Mommy Jodi, why is your hair white and brown?"  Yep...time to get back 3 weeks is just a bit over my hair color limit I guess.

Maureen is feverish tonight and Regina will go back tomorrow morning for another IV treatment.   I'm going to make "eggs in a basket" for everyone for breakfast and somewhere along the way we're going to make ground G-nut & jam sandwiches...aka PBJ.  The concept of sandwich is a new one too.  I have a meeting with a lawyer at noon time and hopefully find my way to some WIFI somewhere along the way.  

I feel it coming to an end and my heart is really divided over which way to go.  But my plane ticket says it will be Saturday and I'll head West.  Until then, I'm holding every one of them that will let me and playing UNO and hair salon with the rest!


No comments:

Post a Comment