Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Conquering a few things... Jan 7, 2014


Today began with meetings and then the long awaited day when Janet had agreed to attempt getting near the pool.  A few conditions had to be met including a very modest bathing suit, no onlookers, and no promises that any more than soaking our feet was required.  If I heard my name once, I heard it a hundred times during the 90 minutes the whole ordeal took.  From walking down the path, to changing room, slipping our shoes off, sitting on the edge, standing in the water, putting our shoulders in, to laying on the raft…”Jodeeee” in her signature sing-song that really means “you better be right about this”.  All of this drama and please realize we were in the baby pool.  But, fear is fear and to realize I was risking our one and only mother hen, did make me size up her tiny frame just in case I needed to pull some fancy rescue maneuvers. 


She survived and might even admit to enjoying the raft.  I checked out of the hotel, we headed to the bank, and then off to Chayah.  I heard all about the snake fight on the Swiss Family Robinson DVD I left yesterday.  Janet packed and left for her 4 day respite and as we walked back in the gate from saying goodbye, it took about 3 steps before I was in Grandma mode.  Out came the boards to have 50 nails put in and the weaving began.  Several took turns but to my surprise, Yoweri was the one to sit the longest at the project. 


John, Olivia, Edrine & Melissa have taught themselves so much on the keyboard since we last were here.  I helped a little bit with worship songs they wanted to know the chords for and we started a note book for them.  Olivia and John learn songs at school, then come home and teach them to the rest of the kids, then try to pick out the right chords and play for worship time here.  I really think we will spend some more time on this when the guitar players arrive this weekend.

The playdoh came out this afternoon too.  It took about 15 minutes for the 9 color variety pack to become one muddy green, and what was I thinking bringing only one rolling pin?  But they played with it in shifts for a very long time.  I’m thinking now, maybe we will make some...it seems like I could really use about another month or so to pull all my tricks out of my bag.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is just about in the bag!  Those kids are so motivated and like us, they have no idea what it means, but somehow it is so catching that they walk around mumbling it.  Love it!  If Shakira and Regina get it polished then Mary Poppins may just make her appearance tomorrow.


Our cooks sat with me today for a good long time and I loved hearing them talk about the kids and their own backgrounds.  Hilu the dog hasn’t been playing well with the chickens, so he was heard whining every once in a           while from the dog house whose construction makes me wish I was here to watch it go together.

Praise/worship/prayer and devotion started about 6 and dinner was served about 7:30.  I don’t know what other kids are doing after singing, dancing and a study of one of the Psalms, but as soon as the group broke up, our wanna be teacher, Judith, plopped down in the middle of the rug and 6 or so little ones sat as if in a classroom listening to Judith teach them from the children’s bible, than asked questions, picking hands that were raise and scolding others for talking out of turn or fidgeting.  What looked like a game was so fun to watch.

 Edrine, ever the curious one, wanted a full lesson and details on passports and visa’s and all that goes into that.  He also today took an empty water bottle and fashioned it into a trophy.  I couldn’t believe the creativity.  When I get a picture I’ll include it in a future post. 

Tonight as I am tucked into Janet’s bed, ready to put this away for tonight, my heart is so full.  Watching these kids act like regular children, happy, playful, curious.  There isn’t one bit of the hesitation I remember last year.  Freedom in safety and security.  Its not perfection, but all signs point to our God who can do anything.  He has begun a good work, and keeps his promises to complete it.  Bumps along the way, I am sure, but tonight I’m feeling like most of what threatened to handicap their futures has subsided, on its way to being considered history.  All of Chayah conquered a few small things today, but in the scope of the past, it’s a miracle they have the opportunity to focus on something besides survival and poverty. A miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment