Monday, January 6, 2014

Pizza, Pizza! Jan 6 2014



Pizza, Pizza!

There is no real way to make today sound exciting, overly interesting or even vaguely important.  However in the midst of errands meant to stock the house with food enough to keep everybody happy while the mom is away, Janet and I were able to reconnect and reaffirm our mutual goals as a ministry to children.  Along with that we visited another home in the Jinja area and talked shop with the administrators there. 

We shopped in the Jinja market, securing about 200 lbs of flour, rice, beans, cow peas, tomatoes and onions. I watched a chicken being well...readied for cooking.  You know from walking around in the cage to de-feathered and everything in between. The chicken guys wanted to know how Arnold Schwarzenegger was.  Oh California, your reputation has forever been changed!

 I searched the town’s markets for the equivalent of a cookie sheet and was told that if I wanted to order one, it could be gotten for me from Dubais, ya, never mind.  The two of us ventured into the timber yard (aka lumber yard) where I am sure I over paid for 12 feet of 1 x 8, and all of those measurements would be “give or take” depending on exactly where on the board you were measuring.

Since we were in town, we stopped at a place called the Space Café and ordered of all things pizza.  My Ugandan friend had never had such a thing and even splitting it we still had a good amount to take home.  It probably matters little to anyone else, but today will forever be known as my absolute best ever parallel park.  Please take into account that I was driving from the right side of the car and parked on the left side of the street.  Forgive me, but yes I needed to take a picture.

We headed back to Chayah where a crew of eager-to-help children teamed up to carry the huge bags of food.  The boys returned to their soccer game and I’m telling you they are ingenious in their use of the old mosquito nets that were replaced last month.  Soccer goals!  The ball they’ve been using was falling apart on the outside but still holds air, so they wrapped it in plastic and string to keep it usable. 

Janet and I headed to look at a piece of property that is available and when we returned we cut up the pizza and shared it with everyone.  Did they like it?  You tell me! 

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the most dreamy place I can think of when I am here.  Since realizing that Micah is not hiding behind my skirt and they will have a few days until he arrives, my popularity number has risen.  Or perhaps they are realizing that Janet is leaving and I’ll be the best they’ve got for a few days so they are buttering me up.  Regardless when I plopped my tired, sweaty self on the grass today, a dozen plus, ebony skinned beauties joined me, totally inflating my ego by squirming to sit close.  With Olivia translating I showed them photos of the rest of the team, talked about the things we’ll do over the next few days and they told me about school.  I am shameless in my efforts to make them smile and my reward such beauty. 

Back at the hotel we made plans for tomorrow’s early morning swim lesson for Chayah’s house mom.  She is terrified, so pray she doesn’t drown us both.  If she’ll let go long enough I’ll get a picture, but I’m not setting my hopes too high.  As I check out of the hotel and head to Chayah’s home for the next 4 days, you would do me the biggest favor by praying me through.  I’ll blog if I can figure out an internet moment and modem. 













No comments:

Post a Comment