Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mommy Jod is wearing out...Jan 10, 2014


Rashid, Jonathan & Yoweri


This place has been absolutely full of activity today.  Elijah, a little guy in Kakira was back in the hospital with Sickle Cell anemia and his mother needed some help  so Jennifer, one of the two who cook here, headed to the village. 

Today was my last day driving the van and in the first three days, I managed to take 8 children on errands of one type or another.  With the 10 youngest chomping at the bit, we headed out for a few cleaning supplies at a little store near the Nile bridge.

If II counted them once, I counted them 10 times before we left that store.  Paired up and holding hands, they followed me like little ducks down the aisle of soap and scrub brushes.  I had  toilets on my mind and you can bet with 18 children at home, more than a little Vim (Comet) was needed.  Before we left, a tourist from Australia asked if they were all mine.  No, well yes, but no, but in a way yes.  I smiled all the way home.

Three bathrooms were scrubbed on hands and knees, wooden shelves and baskets were hauled outside in the process, scrubbed down and then repaired by John. A shelf in the store room needed some support, so again, our man of the house stepped right  in.
John
He asked me later this afternoon if it was possible to be a Pastor and a doctor.  We’ll be praying God strengthens him and provides for such wonderful callings.
Melisa, Jesca, Brenda & Sarah
When the big girls had finished their chores, we pulled out the sewing machine and began with each of them making bags from braided fabric scraps.  They were slow starting, but once we finished the first one, they recommitted to the task and 6 of them  completed their purses this evening.
Judith, Olivia, Jesca, Sarah, Jesca


Jonathan & Rashid



Two of the girls today opened up about life before Chayah and told me their stories.  Out of  respect for them, I won’t go into details, but  some things that were common for them, should just never be, ever. 

Legos entertained the littles ones again today for several hours after their naps.

 
Edrine  




















 Its 11pm and Janet hasn’t made it home yet, so I’m settling in for one more night.  I have to admit, I’m not quite as cut out for 18 as I thought.  They are still dancing, practicing something for church and I’m falling asleep sitting up.  But they are such a delight,  There have been no fights, nobody got lost, nobody left the property without me, clothes were washed, bathing twice a day accomplished without a complaint and the boys even did the after dinner dishes and clean up tonight…. Not at all Ugandan tradition.  

The rest of the group will be here in about 24 hours and we’ll hit the ground running with church in Kakira Sunday morning.  I can’t wait to see them all.  Until tomorrow...Good night from Chayah.

No comments:

Post a Comment