Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Littles...

This morning I met with Lori who gave me some tips of navigating Uganda's equivalent of IRS and SS.  Really she explained to me that everything is online, but really nothing at all can be accomplished there. Drop down menus don't really drop down and links probably take you to a black hole in the universe somewhere.  But the information is there and can be processed in person here in Jinja...note to self for the next trip.

I had seen the bicycle I wanted, but thought that I was probably quoted way too much, so I tried really hard to duck beneath the dashboard as Chris went over to "bargain". (the second syllable has a long "A" sound).  I was sitting across the street in his car, trying to point to the one I wanted without flashing my lily-white arms in the window and drawing attention to myself.  As my eyeballs barely peered over the lower edge of the window, he walked back and forth gesturing at one and then another and for heaven's sake I'm in my second 50 years with these eyeballs so together we accomplished little except looking very suspicious. 

We arrived at Chayah to a bunch of busy kids sitting in the shade of the front porch and playing with...yet Legos.  In the front yard, dressed in lovely green was a bride to be, her mother, an and an attendant.  Eaves dropping, I heard them planning on which of the five boys they would try to recruit to play the part of the groom.  They walked boldly to the porch and began in the middle first asking Yoweri, then Rashid, then Jonathan.  Each request was met with a very firm "No" and I laughed at the universal aversion of boys getting roped into marriage, even if it was pretend play.

Solomon showed up with some statements, an update on the land surveying and handed me a bundle of letters to bring home.  Lunch was served and I had a chance to talk to the cooks about their wonderful work and a few requests that will help the children grow up and out of our nest with all of the necessary life skills. AKA: Let/make them help cook and clean according to the chore schedule.  Hold them accountable and have them check with you before leaving the compound if Mom isn't home.  And seriously they make the very best cow peas in the first, second and third world!

Today was a day to even things up with the littles. Yesterday the bigs got to go to town to tour the hotel and nursing school, so today I carted 10 young ones back to the playground near by.
Janet dropped us off to run a couple of errands and told them to practice their English and sit and speak to me.  I sat in the shade of a tree and 3 or 4 came one at a time as the mood struck them and we had some very sweet conversation.  Our relationship with most of these has been based on eye contact, games, giggles and hugs.  Today some sweet voices offered up stories and history and the names and personalities of their school teachers.  I can't believe their progress and it makes me look forward to the next trip and the ones after that.  

We walked to the covered patio and shared 4 bottles of soda.  I asked for 10 glasses and they sat 10 stemmed wine glasses out.  Well, that's what they had and you have seen 10 children sit up so straight and behave so well, all the while giggling with their sophisticated beverage.  Somebody starting the "cheers" action and pretty soon the gentlest of clinking began.  About that time Janet walked up and began laughing hysterically, which in Ugandan represents much joy.  She was so proud of how they were handling themselves drinking Mountain Dew and Miranda soda.  Pretty soon glasses were empty but one by one the sillies began to take over as each table elected a "waitress" to carry the glasses to the bar.  I think it was Jonathan's 'bouncing" (swagger) that caused them all to loose control and pretty soon, Regina was trying it, then Rashid.  It was pure uninhibited fun and Janet was laughing most of all.  I really think she couldn't be prouder of her bunch.

We did some translating of a few bits of video from yesterday and headed off about 5pm to have dinner with Judith, Chayah's counselor.  It was great to hear reports from her about different ones, how they are doing in relationships within the house and any problems that might be brewing.  She has 6 children of her own, still at home and is a wise mother, patient and has some great ideas about how to best care for Ugandan children.  We continue to learn.

Tomorrow we head to the Falls.  Pray we don't loose anybody.  It will be my last day with this family and there is a bit more to finish up...plus I promised a small bicycle and I fear somebody might make a call to the Embassy if I don't deliver.  The sheets are calling me, so I'll sign off on my last Thursday of this trip.  Pray for a beautiful day tomorrow as I say goodbye and attempt to leave them with some nugget of God's love for them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment